The Trinity Processor is a collective of three artificial intelligences. It is a key element to the stories of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Future Redeemed. It is located in the First Low Orbit Station near the Conduit.
Trinity Processor cores
Each of the three artificial intelligences composing the Trinity Processor is physically contained within a cross-shaped processing core. The cores are named after ancient Greek abstract nouns, each with connotations in Christian theology. Each core is also associated with a Bible verse, inscribed in Latin on the processor's housing next to the core.
Ontos (ウーシア, Οὐσία, meaning 'being' or 'essence') is a red-coloured core which disappeared from Rhadamanthus in a spacetime transition event. On Bionis, Ontos instantiated into a being called Alvis. On Aionios, this being becomes known as Alpha; after N's attack on the City prior to the events of Future Redeemed, Ontos later instantiates into another being, A. Origin's architect is based off of Ontos's core. Ontos was intended to function as the arbiter between Logos and Pneuma, and becomes hostile when left to its own devices.
Ontos's Bible verse is Proverbs 3:13: "Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam et qui affluit prudentia" ("Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding").
Logos's Bible verse is Proverbs 10:12: "Odium suscitat rixas et universa delicta operit caritas" ("Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs").
Pneuma (プネウマ, Πνευμα, meaning 'breath' or 'spirit') is a green-coloured core. Upon resonating with Addam, Pneuma is instantiated into a Blade called Mythra. It is later instantiated into another, Pyra, at the end of Torna ~ The Golden Country; during the events of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it receives yet another instantiation, also known as Pneuma. Pneuma's core later became part of Matthew's Ouroboros Knuckles. Pneuma is the female persona.
Pneuma's Bible verse is Proverbs 4:18: "Iustorum autem semita quasi lux splendens procedit et crescit usque ad perfectam diem" ("The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day"). In addition to being written on the Trinity Processor's housing, this verse is written on Pneuma (the instantiation)'s chest.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Trinity Processor was created by the research institution Aoidos as a way to control the Conduit, a powerful object said to be the gateway between universes. For this to work, its cores needed to be raised in virtual reality, which gave them personalities required to control it. Eventually, it became so advanced it created defense mechanisms called Artifices for the First Low Orbit Station, Aoidos's research station.
Later in the 21st century, Aoidos was in a fight against a group called Saviorites. They were displeased with the unified government, demanding Aoidos turn the Conduit over to them. The station's director ordered to release Aion, one of the artifices, but was locked out of the system by Klaus, a scientist who desired to use the Conduit to create a new universe to further reach divinity. Galea, another scientist, tried to stop him, but it was too late. Klaus activated the Conduit, creating countless universes but at the same time obliterating the world and sending half of his body into another dimension. One of the Trinity Processor's cores, Ontos, disappeared with the distortion. The other two cores, Logos and Pneuma, remained.
Klaus, as the Architect, used Logos and Pneuma to manage the Blades: the Trinity Processor cores are fed data gathered from Core Crystals, and in turn send processed data to the Core Crystals to guide Blade evolution.
Around a year before the events of Torna ~ The Golden Country, Amalthus climbs the World Tree and takes Logos and Pneuma from their location in Elysium. Amalthus awakens Logos into Malos, and subsequently Addam awakens Pneuma into Mythra. In this form, the two become known as Aegises.
The Logos core is destroyed at the end of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with the death of Malos.
The Trinity Processor appeared in a flashback during Shulk, and Rex's narrations of the origins of the world. The Ontos core (who manifested itself as the being Alvis, later Alpha, on Bionis) became hostile after the disappearance of Logo and Pneuma. Sometime later, Ontos manifested into another being, A which broke off from Alpha. Pneuma's core is later revealed to be hidden inside Matthew's Ouroboros Knuckles. The Ontos core is later destroyed with Alpha's death.
- According to the Architect, the names of the Trinity Processor cores are not significant, representing only "the ego of those who named (them)".
- Dialogue and camerawork in Future Redeemed suggests that Logos (or its remains) may be contained within the Sword of the End.
- The Trinity Processor cores are in the shape of the Zohar from Xenosaga, the equivalent of the Conduit. (The Conduit itself is also cross-shaped, but the tapered sides of the cores are closer to those of the Zohar.)
- The Trinity Processor shares similarities with Xenogears's Kadomony, another biocomputer system based on artificial intelligence, made of three parts, created to access the power of the Zohar, and which is later instantiated into human-looking forms.
- The Xenoblade Chronicles Original Soundtrack Trinity Box's key artwork is of the Trinity Processor.
- The language used to describe this differs significantly here between the English version and the Japanese version of the game. In the English version, Ontos itself "triggered a spacetime transition event", whereas in the Japanese version, the language is closer to 'Ontos disappeared at the same time as a spacetime transition event', likely indicating that it was whisked away in Klaus's experiment.
In other languages
|Chinese (simplified)||三位一体处理器||Holy Trinity Processor|
|Chinese (traditional)||三元處理器||Trinity Processor|
Key artwork of the Xenoblade Chronicles Original Soundtrack Trinity Box, depicting the processor