Field Skill (XC2)
- For other articles titled "Field Skill", see Field Skill (disambiguation).
Field Skills are a mechanic in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna ~ The Golden Country. They are special Skills bound to a Blade that are used outside of combat, such as Merc Missions, quests, item crafting, or other Field Skill checks. Field skills can be upgraded through the Affinity Chart.
Rare and Legendary Blades (almost) all have 3 different Field Skills, and they can be upgraded to a maximum of level 3 (level 5 in specific cases). Common Blades have between 1 and 3 different Field Skills, each of which can be upgraded to a maximum of between 1 and 3. The number of Field Skills available to a Common Blade, as well as how far each one can be levelled, is random but correlated with the Blade's number of crowns.
Several different gameplay mechanics make use of Field Skills. In all usages of Field Skills except for Merc Missions, the Blades whose Field Skills contribute to Field Skill checks are those currently equipped to a playable Driver, regardless of whether said Driver is in the active party (although they must be in the list of currently available Drivers in the menu). Pyra and Mythra count separately and are treated as both being engaged simultaneously in gameplay situations in which either one can be used (from Chapter 5 onwards).
- Standard overworld Field Skill checks can be found in the overworld. They require a certain number of levels of one or two Field Skills to pass (e.g. 2 levels of Superstrength and one level of Focus). Here, the total amount of any particular Field Skill is equal to the sum of the levels of that skill across all Blades active in the party; for example, having one Blade with level 3 Fire Mastery is equivalent to having 3 Blades with one level of Fire Mastery each. Such checks exist as a part of an area's geography until they are completed; upon completion, they change an aspect of the local geography (e.g. forming a path to a new area or revealing a Treasure Chest) and the check disappears. Some such checks only appear during certain quests. Overworld Field Skill checks can be seen on the minimap; they are marked by a blue symbol of a mountain with a crescent surrounding it, the same shape as that in the Field Skill symbol above.
- NPC dialogue may perform a Field Skill check, requiring a certain number of levels of one or two skills like checks in the overworld. In these cases, the NPC's dialogue branches depending upon whether the check was passed or not. Often, failing the check ends the conversation (allowing the player to try again) whereas important dialogue and/or that which advances a quest will be behind the branch that requires passing the check, making this functionally very similar to an overworld Field Skill check.
- Each collection point has a certain Field Skill associated with it. If a collection point is used and a Blade currently equipped to a Driver has the associated skill, there is a chance that the collection point will spawn more items. The chance increases if the Field Skill is at level 2, and becomes a certainty if it is at level 3 (or higher). This may apply independently for up to three different Blades, increasing the number of collectibles spawned each time. This applies similarly at Salvaging points with the Salvaging Mastery skill; here, the activation of the skill results in a higher chance of getting better loot.
- Many Merc Missions have suggested Field Skills; sending Blades with such Field Skills on the mission decreases the amount of time the mission takes. In particular, the mission time is decreased by 6% (additively) for each level of each suggested Field Skill summed across all Blades who go on the mission, rounded down to the nearest minute, down to a minimum of 25% of the original mission time.
- Field Skills involved with crafting (see below) may be used at specific locations. These checks function similarly to standard overworld Field Skill checks, but they do not disappear after the check is completed.
Field Skills can be split into several categories:
- Each element has a specific "Mastery" skill, such as Fire Mastery. While only some rare and legendary Blades have such skills, every common Blade carries the Field Skill associated with its element. Light Mastery is an exception, however, as common Blades cannot have light as its element. These skills are mainly used for general Field Skill checks or Merc Missions.
- Some Blades can craft items at certain places. This mechanic is bound to a Field Skill which can be levelled up to unlock new recipes. This category includes Pyra's Cooking, Vale's Weaving, Dahlia's Icecraft, Gorg's Patissier, Vess's Dumpling Pro, and Crossette's Ardent Cooking.
- Some Field Skills, such as Botany or Agronomy, are used at collection points to get higher yields of collectibles. Salvaging Mastery can also increase loot from salvaging. Common, rare, or legendary Blades can get these skills.
- A few Field Skills like Info Collector or Transport Mastery are exclusive to common Blades and only used for Merc Missions.
- A handful of Field Skills are exclusive to rare and legendary Blades, albeit not to a single one. They are used for Field Skill checks and Merc Missions. Examples include Lockpicking (often used for opening treasure chests) and Focus.
- Many rare Blades carry a Field Skill exclusive to them, such as Boreas's Fleet of Foot, Newt's Titan Weapon Wisdom, or all of Godfrey's Field Skills. They are only used in their respective Blade Quests (as well as some DLC-exclusive quests) and Merc Missions.
- Nim's Phonex Linguistics is required to talk to Phonexes.
List of Field Skills
|Agronomy||Collection||Knowledge related to vegetables.|
|Ancient Wisdom||Interaction||Knowledge of ancient civilizations. Used to decode writing, etc.||
|Ardent Cooking||Crafting||The power to prepare food like Pyra's. Skill exclusive to Crossette.||Crossette|
|Assassination||Exclusive||Judge and punish those who do evil. Skill exclusive to Perceval.||Perceval|
|Beguiling Charms||Exclusive||Captivate all with your charming appearance. Exclusive to Floren.||Floren|
|Birdbrain||Exclusive||The power to instantly forget anything. Skill exclusive to Finch.||Finch|
|Botany||Collection||Knowledge related to plants. (XC2)
Knowledge related to plants and veggies. Mainly helps gather on plains. (TTGC)
|Cavalier Attitude||Exclusive||The belief that kings should delegate work to subjects. Exclusive to Dagas?||Dagas (initial chart)|
|Chivalry||Exclusive||A knight's sense for meting out justice. Skill exclusive to Perun||Perun|
|Clairvoyant Eye||Exclusive||Her left eye lets her see through all obstructions. Exclusive to Azami.||Azami|
|Cooking||Crafting||The power to prepare delicious food. Skill exclusive to Pyra.||Pyra|
|Dark Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of a Dark Blade.|
|Dumpling Pro||Crafting||Prepare tasty triangular dumplings. Skill exclusive to Vess.||Vess|
|Earth Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of an Earth Blade.|
|Electric Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of an Electric Blade.||
Electric Common Blades
|Entomology||Collection||Knowledge related to insects. (XC2)
Knowledge related to insects. Mainly helps gather items in the desert. (TTGC)
|Expeditionist||Merc Missions||Can use full strength even away from Driver. Exclusively for Merc Missions.||Common Blades|
|Extra-Ancient Wisdom||Exclusive||Knowledge about super-old culture lost to the Cloud Sea. Exclusive to Adenine.||Adenine|
|Eye for Beauty||Exclusive||Looks for girls to add to her entourage. Skill exclusive to Sheba.||Sheba|
|Fire Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of a Fire Blade.|
|Fleet of Foot||Exclusive||Move faster than the eye can see. Skill exclusive to Boreas.||Boreas|
|Focus||Interaction||The power to focus on one thing. Also used to control one's power.|
|Forestry||Collection||Knowledge related to trees. (XC2)
Knowledge related to trees. Mainly helps gather items from trees. (TTGC)
|Fortitude||Interaction||The power to endure hardships. It even helps cope with boring jobs. (XC2)
The power to endure hardships. Lets you excel at mind-numbing tasks, too. (TTGC)
|Girls' Talk||Interaction||Talk openly, girl-to-girl. (XC2)
A power Mythra discovered through human interaction. It's not that useful. (TTGC)
|Harmony||Exclusive||Have fun playing beautiful music. Skill exclusive to Ursula.||Ursula|
|Ice Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of an Ice Blade.|
|Icecraft||Crafting||Create intricately beautiful art from ice. Skill exclusive to Dahlia.||Dahlia|
|Ichthyology||Collection||Knowledge related to fish. (XC2)
Knowledge related to fish. Mainly helps gather items by the water. (TTGC)
|Industry Mastery||Merc Missions||Skillful at machine repairs and upkeep. Exclusively for Merc Missions.||Common Blades|
|Info Collector||Merc Missions||Skillful at retrieving information. Exclusively for Merc Missions.||Common Blades|
|Justice-Loving Soul||Exclusive||A just heart that tolerates no evil. Skill exclusive to Godfrey.||Godfrey|
|Keen Eye||Interaction||The power to see things clearly. Used to notice small changes, etc.|
|Kind Soul||Exclusive||A kind heart that helps the weak. Skill exclusive to Godfrey.||Godfrey|
|Leaping||Interaction||The power to jump. Used to reach high places.|
|Light Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of a Light Blade.|
|Lockpicking||Interaction||The power to open various things. Works on doors, treasure troves, etc. (XC2)
The power to open various things. Mostly useful for treasure troves. (TTGC)
|Mastery of Thunder||Exclusive||The power to control electricity. Electra's not exactly good at this...||Electra|
|Mental Arithmetic||Exclusive||Perform complex calculations at speed. Skill exclusive to KOS-MOS.||KOS-MOS|
|Miasma Dispersal||Exclusive||Disperse poison gas emitted by Titans. Skill exclusive to Roc.||Roc|
|Mineralogy||Collection||Knowledge related to minerals. (XC2)
Knowledge related to minerals. Mainly helps collect items in rocky areas. (TTGC)
|Nopon Wisdom||Interaction||Knowledge related to Nopon. Decode writing, speak Nopon, etc.||
|One Lucky Gal||Exclusive||Chase luck, but find only misfortune. Curse exclusive to Kasandra.||Kasandra|
|Passionate Soul||Exclusive||A burning heart that crushes the strong. Skill exclusive to Godfrey.||Godfrey|
|Patissier||Crafting||Enjoy making tasty sweet things. Skill exclusive to Gorg.||Gorg|
|Phonex Linguistics||Exclusive||The power to speak with Phonexes. Skill exclusive to Nim.||Nim|
|Production Mastery||Merc Missions||Skillful at deftly making things. Exclusively for Merc Missions.||Common Blades|
|Prospecting||Exclusive||Discover never-before-seen precious stones. Skill exclusive to Agate.||Agate|
|Rampage||Exclusive||A power so great, it had to be sealed. Releasing it causes Herald to rampage.||Herald|
|Salvaging Mastery||Collection||Knowledge related to salvaging.||
|Superstrength||Interaction||Extraordinary physical strength. Used to break things, lift them up, etc.||
|Titan Weapon Wisdom||Exclusive||Deep knowledge of Titan weapons. Skill exclusive to Newt.||Newt|
|Transport Mastery||Merc Missions||Skillful at moving lots of goods quickly. Exclusively for Merc Missions.||Common Blades|
|Water Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of a Water Blade.|
|Weaving||Crafting||Use looms to weave gorgeous fabrics. Skill exclusive to Vale.||Vale|
|Wind Mastery||Element Mastery||The power of a Wind Blade.|